Stress Hormone Cortisol Linked to Autism

Next month, Dr. Blythe Corbett of the University of California Davis is going to present his research findings on the connection between the  hormone cortisol and stress in children with neurodevelopmental disorders, including autism and Tourette syndrome.  Several years ago I began publishing and speaking at physician conferences on the connection between stress, cortisol and mental health disorders.  In clinical practice I am  seeing tremendous improvement in patients with autism, bipolar disorder, and clinical depression when I test for and treat Sickness Syndrome (Inflammation in the Brain connected to stress and the hormone cortisol).

Dr. Corbet will be presenting his research on Thursday, July 17, from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute auditorium, 2825 50th St., Sacramento.

-Dr. Gina

Advertisements

8 Responses to Stress Hormone Cortisol Linked to Autism

1. Jen says:

My son has severe autism. Interestingly, when I was pregnant with him, I was under extreme, prolonged stress. For example, I was taking a full load at college. Second, I had just broken up with my boyfriend and had to go on welfare. Third, my mother and I were fighting. Forth, I was living in a hostile, violent neighborhood. Consequently, I was always on edge. Always stressed out. Always nervous. I remember one day having a panic attack, though I didn’t realize what it was at the time. I wonder how many other mothers of autistic children were under pervasive or unusal stress while pregnant with their children who would later be diagnosed with autism.

2. Great article, adding it to my favourites!

3. aspergersautismfamily says:

Autism is a spectrum disorder, however, more and more, Severe autism is not being shown to the public. There is a great video on you tube called “severe autism when there is no answer” The video is made by a man with Aspergers (a fellow aspie) who also has an autistic son. Very enlightening. Youll be surprised.

4. Shiela Ahner says:

Brighter Hope offers services including individual, couples therapy, treatment of children and adolescents, psychological evaluations, court-ordered treatment and assessments, services to GLBT and college populations and a variety of educational and consultation services.

5. Dong Rissler says:

A lot of feedback in so little time, I have to join and agree, it is a great post. the site is outstanding

6. leslie says:

Autism and stress? Wow that is interesting connection. Inflammation

7. asperger autism…

[…]Stress Hormone Cortisol Linked to Autism « Dr. Gina's Blog[…]…

8. mary milkin says:

After watching someone with autism, I starting wondering about a link between stress and autism. I’m so glad to see that someone else is already exploring this link. If you think about how we act when we are severely stressed, there is a resemblance to how children with autism react all the time. At my worst, I don’t want anyone near me, I have horrible tics and OCD, I don’t care if anyone else exists. Could it be that something in children with autism that would normally keep cortisol, etc in check is simply turned on all the time? Maybe even something with their adrenal gland that then affects their brain? Such that they are essentially in severe stress mode from the moment they are born, or even before. To be constantly in a fight or flight mode 24/7. No wonder they need soothing repetitive actions and why even the slightest bit of extra stress–change in routine for example–can just push them over the edge. Stay up for 48 hours straight and we will act the same way. It could be genetic since it seems to run in families, or as Jen pointed out–could stress during pregnancy cause part of the problem?